Friday, May 13, 2011

Offseason Storylines You're Not Already Sick Of

It’s been a minute since I posted, so I’m sorry for my absence I’ve been really busy with putting the capper on this whole school thing.  I made it though, thanks for the concern.

Before we start: Brain Droppings.

I like the Thunder over the Bulls in seven in the NBA Finals.  Will someone remind Russell Westbrook that he’s not the best player on his team?  Oh wait… if it looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck… Durant is just biding his time.  Don’t be fooled.

It’s hilarious to me to see the Falcons and the Browns both thinking that they got the best of each other in their blockbuster trade on draft day.  You’d think that at some point one side would say, at least internally, “Hey guys… I think we blew it.”  My money’s on Atlanta.

So, without a whole lot going on with free agency and OTA’s and the like going on, a lot exists in the world of the hypothetical.  It’s my obligation to contribute.  So here’s a two storylines of this year’s offseason that no one seems to be talking about.

1.        What’s the deal in the AFC West?

The Chiefs won the division last year, despite the fact that Oakland went undefeated in divisional play.  Couple this with the Chargers finishing ranked number one overall in both total offense and total defense and the pan-Tebow-nium supposedly on in Denver, we have probably the most underrated division in the entire NFL.  Although the Pats, Colts, and Ravens/Steelers have their divisions on lock as long as their quarterbacks remain intact, the AFC West is incredibly interesting and fluid situation.  This is definitely a fun one to watch.  My dark horse pick: Oakland, as Darren McFadden leads the AFC in rushing yardage in 2011.

2.       Who will be this year’s Michael Vick?

This is to say, which player, largely irrelevant last year will make a serious impact this year?  Injuries don’t count.  The obvious choice is Plaxico Burress, fresh out of the pen.  The Steelers have two choices in second year tailback Jonathan Dwyer and Limas Sweed, infamous for his struggles with drops in big games.  Granted, Sweed did suffer injuries in the preseason last year, but I have trouble believing the former Longhorn would’ve had a shake last year.  This year is his last shot in the Steel City, so if he’s got a best effort to put forth now is the time to see it.

More to come in the next few days, but what do you guys think?  Enjoy basketball and baseball my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment